Saturday 2 April 2011

C.N Blue makes an "Intuition" comeback

Photo from First Step album

Unlike other K-pop groups that I have written on, CN Blue is an indie rock band. Instead of dancing to the music, they play instruments like the guitar and drums. CN Blue, a.k.a Code Name Blue is part of FNC Music Company which also houses other rock bands like FT Island. CN Blue debuted back in January 2010 but they had been performing on streets in Japan in 2009. They are known as the second FT Island since they come from the same company and their music styles are kind of simular. On March 21, CN Blue dropped their "First Step" album and it sold quite well. This year, they were slated to make a comeback sometime in February but it was pushed back until March. The song that they will be promoting is titled, "Intuition" and it is quite different from their past couple of songs. Around a week after it's release, it reached number 1 on some music charts.

For those of you who are thinking, "Who are these people?" CN Blue consists of four talented members. They are Yonghwa (leader, main vocalist, rapper), Jonghyun (lead guitarist, vocalist), Jungshin (bassist, rapper), and Minhyuk (drummer, backing vocalist). The eldest member, Yonghwa is 21 while the youngest member, Jungshin is 19. If any of you have watched the Korean drama, "You're Beautiful", you may have noticed that the actor who plays Shinwoo is actually CN Blue's Yonghwa. Yonghwa acted alongside labelmate Hongki of FT Island who played Jeremy. Other than Yonghwa, members Jonghyun and Minhyuk stared in a movie titled, "Acoustic". Leader Yonghwa  is also staring in a reality show along side SNSD's Seohyun called, "We Got Married" which is basically a show that pairs up Korean celebrities in a virtual marriage. Even though his role in We Got Married is going to end soon, I enjoyed watching him interact with his virtual wife and it was quite interesting.
Left to Right: Jungshin, Jonghyun, Yonghwa, Minhyuk

Last year, CN Blue debuted with a song called, "I'm a Loner" and it reached number 2 on music charts within weeks. Then, after some rest, the group released a single titled, "Love" in May and it was as successful as their first song.

For their single, "Intuition" it talks about how a guy feels that his girlfriend is going to leave him. At the beginning of the song, there is a short DJ break before the bass and drums come in. This song features a unique and addicting chorus that stays in people's heads. The guitars create an interesting rhythm with Yonghwa's powerful vocals. The verses talk about how the guy does not want his girlfriend to leave and how everything she does is signaling a breakup.

The first few times that I started listening to this song, it did not really make me go, "Wow" but as I kept listening to it, the chorus got stuck in my head and the more I listened to it, the better it sounded. If I had to rate this song, I would give it a 7/10 since I did not really like it at the beginning and this song did not blow me off of my feet. Even though this may not be one that I would label as a favourite, I still listen to it and I think it's OK. I've listened to other songs off of their First Step album and I really liked some of the other songs.

Credits to:
gokpop.com (first CN Blue picture)
cnbluestorm.com (second CN Blue picture)
soeulmateskoreanaddicts.wordpress.com (third CN Blue picture)

2 comments:

  1. It's really interesting to see other styles of music in your posts. And I think it's really awesome that some of the singers also act/have acted on TV!

    ReplyDelete